Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Of Health and Hot Dogs

Have you ever heard someone make the statement that such and such a thing is bad for them, but they would eat it anyway? While I never said that hot dogs were bad for me out loud, I always thought it in my heart as I chowed down on one. As I began working for the Moon, as well as The Garden Herb Shop, I've become increasingly aware of the truth about food... including hot dogs: Danger, Will Robinson, danger!

Because I was told how bad the unnatural ingredients of some hot dog brands are (and you'll know an unnatural ingredient when you read one on the back), I turned my back on my old life of hot dog consumption completely. I went cold turkey and told someone that I would not touch a hot dog from that point on. It was a long, hard, trying, challenging couple of... days. Then someone told me about hot dog packages with a list of ingredients on the back that don't sound like Vulcan or Klingon (hot dog packages that don't have ingredients such as butylhydroquinone on them). They told me about Applegate and Hebrew National hot dogs.

Sold at The Garden Herb Shop
There's a number of articles out there that say a variety of things about our sizzling pink friends. Instead of linking said articles to this post, I'd rather explain to you, dear reader, my simple reasoning behind why I'm ultimately endorsing the hot dog brands at the bottom (aside from the fact that Hebrew National tastes good and Applegate tastes delicious!)

First,when it comes to controversial issues, there is usually an abundance of blog posts, articles, websites, books, and internet forums for both sides of the argument. With hot dogs there doesn't seem to be such a balance. The overall consensus is, "Hot dogs are bad for you." High sodium and harmful preservatives are two common cons to the good ol' frank.

Secondly, I asked myself a simple question: Would I rather eat (that means put into my very body) hot dogs that have Sodium Erythobate in them or not? I would rather go without the mystery ingredient personally. :)

Now, we know these hot dogs to be better than the average dog nutritionally, but what about taste? As I stated earlier, Applegate tastes amazing. Hebrew National is up there as well, but I recommend Applegate for your next cook out. I found out that The Garden Herb Shop sells Applegate, so for those of you who happen to live in the Downtown Canal Winchester area, that's another plus to switching over. :)

Applegate Hot Dogs
Hebrew National Hot Dogs

~The Harvest Crier~

No comments:

Post a Comment