Thursday, July 12, 2012

Farmer's Market: Bake 4 U2

Despite the pummeling the downtown was getting from Mr. Sun last weekend, a pretty good crowd showed up at the door of not only Harvest Moon, but also The Farmer's Market which took place just down the street from the cafe. For a couple weeks now, I've been scoping out the market with lens in hand, taking pictures of all the delicious produce available there. One of the stands closer to High Street was labeled Bake 4 U2 and was set up by a very pleasant lady named Beulah M. Robinson. She greeted me with a smile and I returned the favor, motioning to the small brick cafe behind me.  I explained to her what it was I was doing walking around with my camera and how Harvest Moon wants to help the other local businesses.
   
She loved the idea, and gave me a complementary lemon cake for photographing her stand. I thanked her then, but not nearly as much as I would have if I knew at that time how delicious that lemon cake was. So, Beulah, I hope you get to read this food review because it's all about the treat you gave me. :)

The lemon cake was perfectly moist and spongy, not hard and yet not crumbly. It had a soft lemon taste to it, making me think of it as an excellent cake to have with a cup of hot tea or a glass of cold milk. The lemon flavor and the moderate sweetness were well balanced. It's moistness retained by the cake texture made it stick to your fingers a little bit like any good soft-pastry should. I mean, you could eat it with a fork if you wanted to, but eh...

It was more tart with lemon than sweet with sugar, which made it a cake with character. As I said, I recommend it with tea, or a nice tall glass of cold almond milk. Adjectives to describe this cake are as follows:
~tart,
~sweet,
~soft,
~moist,
~and homey; yes, homey. It was like something fresh out of grandma's kitchen. Beulah, you've definitely made a grandson out of me. :)

She's also famous for her mini-pies, so perhaps I'll have to give those a shot next. A licensed baker, and a real sweetheart, I'd encourage you to visit Beulah at Bake 4 U2 next time you're in the area for The Farmer's Market.
~The Harvest Crier~

No comments:

Post a Comment