Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Save the Town (Pastor Wayne Stuntz)

Faith United Methodist Church, an edifice with architectural complexity of brick-laden beauty, is just a bowshot away from Harvest Moon.* The historic sanctuary, originally built in 1850, stands as solid as a rock among the shady trees and the chirping birds of West Columbus Street. I entered in through the doors of a more contemporary wing of the church, trusting that it would somehow lead me to the church office where I hoped to schedule an interview with the pastor, who I had never met before.

I walked down a hallway filled with the bellowing of excited children in their classrooms. I eventually made it through the wing, unscathed by finger paint and gold fish crackers, and into the historic sanctuary which, to say the least, looked really cool on the inside. After looking the sanctuary over, I finally walked into the seemingly empty church office and found the shoulder of a man peaking out from behind a cubical wall. I knocked lightly on the door frame and he beckoned me to come.

It turned out to be the pastor himself; Pastor Wayne is what he preferred to be called. I explained to him why I was there in his office, and what I was doing with note pad and pen in hand. He ushered me into what seemed to be a conference room and inclined me to take a seat.
"Well, you're here. Let's go ahead and meet now," he said with a pleasant tone as we sat at the end of the long table centered in the room. I explained to him that I worked with Harvest Moon, doing their social networking, and such. As I spoke, I noted his countenance, which was very approachable and relaxed.
"Are they doing some construction in there?" He asked, indicating that he probably saw Pete and the gang of workers earlier.
"Yeah. Well, renovations on the inside." I explained. It was because of the renovations happening that I was able to take a break from food photography and put into practice an idea I had come up with a few days ago: to meet with and interview people in positions of influence, asking them what can be done to improve Canal Winchester.

As we talked, I wrote down his responses. Our dialogue went something like so:
(Me) "What is Canal Winchester's greatest need?"   
(Pastor) "To be promoted. Because so much is on or near the Gender Road area, when I tell people that I am a pastor at Faith United Methodist Church, their response is usually, 'Where's that?' When I explain to them that it's in Historic Canal Winchester, they'll say, 'Oh, I've never been down there.' They'll tell me that they've lived in Canal for seven or eight years and yet have never gone down to the historic area. Promoting the town with something to draw young people here."
He then explained to me that, while not many people know Faith United Methodist Church, a lot of people know Educare, a preschool which takes place in the church building. It's the popularity of Educare that gains Faith United Methodist Church its exposure.
(Me) "So you're saying that the idea is to find a need, fill a need, and in that we get people coming to Canal Winchester?" 
He nodded. 
(Me) "What can the businesses do to make this town better?" 
(Pastor) "Produce great products and great customer service." (I would add here, for them to do their marketing on facebook. Just a post or two each day will help over time.) 
(Me) "What do you feel the people can do to help Canal Winchester? Any society is comprised of individuals, so what can the individual do to make this a better town?" 
(Pastor) "Be loving, be caring, and share the town, meaning, tell other people about it." 
(Me) "Pastor David Long-Higgins once said, 'When thinking about ministry, don't think of it as sprinting as much as a marathon,' what's the marathon performed you feel Canal Winchester needs?" 
(Pastor) "For you to be constantly loving no matter who the other person is and how they treat you. Remain loving."
~The Harvest Crier~


*By the way, we do not practice or endorse shooting arrows at random buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment